Friday, September 29, 2017

Punjabi Lokokti and Muhavare

ਹੋਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਹੋਰੀ ਦੀ ਤੇ ਅੰਨ੍ਹੇ ਨੂੰ ਡੰਗੋਰੀ ਦੀ


This means that everyone looks for something that is of use to them.


ਘਰੋਂ ਜਾਈਏ ਖਾ ਕੇ, ਤੇ ਅਗੋਂ ਮਿਲੇ ਪਕਾ ਕੇ,
ਘਰੋਂ ਜਾਓ ਭੂਖੇ ਤੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਕੋਈ ਨਾ ਪੂਛੇ


Don't leave your house without eating in the morning. If you eat at home, you will meet abundance wherever you go. But leave hungry, and no one will ask you for food all day.
My bua used to use this one on me when I wanted to leave for school without eating. I now use it on the child. :)


ਸੌ ਕੋਸ ਦਰਿਆ, ਤੇ ਸੁੱਥਣ ਮੋਢੇ ਤੇ
The river is still 100 kos away, but he has already put his clothes on his shoulder to protect them. (Unnecessary caution)


ਮੋਆਂ ਦਾ ਸਰ ਮੁੰਡਾਓ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕੀ !
Do what you want!
(You may want to shave a dead person. What do I care?)





No comments: